Being a Carer  

Anyone who looks after a child or young person who has Special Educational Needs, Additional Needs or Disability Needs can be a carer.

This includes parents, siblings, grandparents and other family members. However for benefits and council services usually only one adult is identified as a carer although siblings are considered separately.

Children and young people who attend mainstream schools can also have a parent or sibling who is a carer.

The best way to find out if you could be considered as a carer with your own support needs is to ask for a carers assessment. You can request one for your child or children too.

This page on the Warwickshire Local Offer website has a phone number to call. Read through the text to find it.

Please contact the forum using the details at the bottom of the home page if you run into difficulties when requesting an assessment.